Residency FAQs

A brief list of questions that are often asked regarding IEA residencies, and their answers:

Q: Are my travel expenses covered?

A: We provide you with $125 towards travel.

For nationwide and international residency programs, we budget funds based on a grant and case basis.

Q: I am part of an artist duo/team/group, can we apply as a group?

A: Yes. Please submit contact information and a resume for each person in the group. Please only submit one project proposal, and if you often work as a team then you only need to submit one artist statement to represent the group as well.

For groups larger than two we may need to work out covering lodging, which we address on a case-by-case basis.

Q: Can I bring my kids?

A: Unfortunately our studio is not an ideal environment for kids so please make arrangements for them while you are with us.

Q: I am a student enrolled in a BFA or MFA program. Can I apply?

A: No, we unfortunately cannot accept applications from students who will be enrolled in any school during the residency period. Please apply once you are out of school.

Q: My primary practice is not in electronic art, can I apply if I have a project which would involve electronic art facilities?

A: Yes, we encourage experimental practices and enjoy having artists outside of the fields of electronic arts. Additionally, we enjoy working with scientists and other researchers who feel they can use our facilities to advance their research and would also like to experiment in art making. Our technical staff will assist you in using our tools to produce your work.

With that said, we do not operate as a service bureau. Applications simply requesting access to make prints of paintings and photos will typically be rejected. We like to support work which uses out facilities in dynamic ways, working across multiple processes to produce unique material or resources that one would not be able to achieve by simply visiting a printing press.

Q: I noticed the IEA is affiliated with the School of Art and Design of the NYSCC at Alfred University. Do I have to include any interaction with the students in my project? Am I allowed to do so?

A: A residency at the IEA does not obligate you to have any interaction with the students of the NYSCC. However, if you would like to we would be delighted and would be happy to try and facilitate what you would like to do. In the past artists have done lectures and shown their work, visited classes and held discussions, and have even designed projects to work with the students during their residency.

Please note that a promise to interact with students does not increase one’s chances of having their project chosen during the selection process of the call.

Q: I have had a residency at the IEA in the past, am I allowed to apply again for the current call for applications?

A: Yes. The IEA strives to bring in new and fresh artists with every call. With that said, the IEA is constantly changing, adding new equipment, software, tools, etc. and we also know that artists who have had residencies in the past are also constantly changing, gaining new ideas, adding new skills to their skill set, the list goes on. It is always exciting to work with our past artists who come with new ideas and new projects.

Q: I am an artist living outside of the areas your current call(s) specifies in the outline. Can I still apply?

A: While we would love to have artists from all over the world, our current funding specifies which artists the money can be used to support, specifically by geography. We encourage you to look for opportunities locally as well as keeping an eye on our website, as an opportunity could open up in the future that you could apply for.

If you have a project that you strongly feel would not be possible outside of the IEA and see no other way to do it, you are welcome to submit a project proposal and we will try to take a look at it and see what we can do, but please realize we are restricted as to how our funds can be spent to some degree.

Comments are closed.